Working with the CEO and the Director of Corporate Services, we engaged in developing greater understanding of the organisation, its intended direction and the leadership challenges it faced in delivering on its vision.
A series of one to one interviews was conducted with key stakeholders from the group of 30 Senior Leaders along with desk research on ‘Best Company’ survey results and Investors in People assessment feedback.
This collaboration and insight drove the development of an initial leadership development programme ‘Horizon’ that utilised Bourton’s FSDO™ Leadership framework.
The programme objectives were clear; develop better collective leadership, develop better leaders, enable ‘One Riverside’, develop common and consistent approaches to manage change.
An initial launch workshop with all the leadership group developed some clear understanding of the current organisational challenges and provided a context for the programme, including a vision for a high performing organisational culture (using our Organisational Culture Profile maturity model).
A series of modules then allowed a workshop approach to the programme to be delivered. Working over a six-month period with smaller groups and introducing key concepts and pragmatic tools, the programme delivered session on generating greater Focus, challenging and developing Structures and ways of working, ensuring Discipline and consistency; and developing engagement and Ownership (FSDO). Each module generated collective and individual action plans.
The programme was enhanced by focused performance coaching by Bourton consultants to ensure application of tools and to assist in deployment.
Two leadership conferences formed the process by which we engaged with the wider leadership group to effect organisational development.
Key topics for these sessions were the understanding of a shared vision for the organisation (One Riverside) and the initiation of key discussions on a future Target Operating Model for the business.
Focused Improvements – The workshops concentrated on developing individual and shared leadership.
Post workshop activity deployed included:
- GOSPA Strategy Development and Planning
- Departmental Culture development plans
- Departmental Change and Improvement Strategies using focused tools
- Lean Reviews
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Service improvement plans
Knowledge Transfer – Key to the long-term impact of this programme was our ability to share our approaches and tools with the organisation. By creating an action centred learning approach, we ensured that we developed deep understanding of the tools, frameworks and approaches
Additional projects – Because of this leadership development programme, we were engaged by Riverside to support several other change projects, including:
- Executive Team Development Away Days and Coaching
- Organisational Change Consultancy in support to the new Target Operating Model
- Leadership performance coaching extensions to support 20 leaders through the implementation of their change programmes and to support the implementation of the new Target Operating Model
- Organisational redesign of Tier 1&2 Leadership Stricture to support the implementation of the Target Operating Model
- Strategy Development workshops in Riverside Home Ownership
- Change Engagement Workshop in Riverside Home Ownership
- Change Strategy Development in Asset Management Services
- Rapid Improvement Event to improve Programme Management within the Corporate PMO
- Rapid Improvement Event in Human Resources to improve the Payroll process
- Design, development and delivery of 30 one day Cornerstone 6 ‘Be the Change’ modules to middle managers.